“How are you doing, Spiritually?” That is an important question.
The Great Physician, by both direct and indirect statements in his Word, repeatedly encourages us to examine our hearts. But while many may be aware that it ought to be our regular practice to take a Spiritual pulse, I suspect that relatively few know how to read the gauges even if they try. Consequently, if we are not certain what we are looking for, it follows that we are not always quite sure how to answer our opening question. So, it seems, the typical response we might give, even to those who may genuinely care, is an awful lot like the responses we give to the stranger on the street, or the hotel clerk we see each morning on vacation, when they ask “How are you today?” “Fine, thanks. And you?” But this is too important a question to simply perpetuate the standard reflex response.
I have benefited from regularly asking myself 10 Questions I learned from Don Whitney and his short but helpful book: 10 Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health. Asking myself these questions, or considering observations people have offered about me as they relate to these questions, serves as a good spiritual check-up.
Each of the 10 Questions below is a link to an excerpt of respective chapters from Whitney’s book:
- Are you more thirsty for God than ever before?
- Are you more and more loving?
- Are you more sensitive to and aware of God than ever before?
- Are you governed more and more by God’s Word?
- Are you concerned more and more with the physical and spiritual needs of others?
- Are you more and more concerned with the Church and the Kingdom of God?
- Are the disciplines of the Christian life more and more important to you?
- Are you more and more aware of your sin?
- Are you more and more willing to forgive others?
- Are you thinking more and more of heaven and of being with the Lord Jesus?
One thought on “My Spiritual EKG”
Great questions Dennis. Here’s one additional…….
When is the last time you took an opportunity to share the Gospel with another ?