There is a scene I recall from Little Orphan Annie worth taking note. Annie has just arrived at her new home, a virtual palace that has been set up for her and for her enjoyment by her adopted father, Daddy Warbucks. Upon entering the foyer, with household staff lined up to greet and welcome her, Annie gazes at her new surroundings. Daddy Warbucks asks: “What do you think, Annie?” “It’s beautiful”, she replies. “Well, where do you want to begin?” She muses for a moment, then shrugs her shoulders: “Bring me a bucket. I will start with the stairs.”
This scene presents a vivid illustration of the way many Christians, those adopted by God the Father through the blood of Jesus the Son, view life and their relationship with our Redeemer-Creator.
Jesus makes the promise:
“I will not leave you as orphans.” (John 14.18)
Yet, like Annie, we are conditioned to think like orphans and feel we must do something to earn our keep, or else face some kind of rejection. Even if our theology tells us otherwise, this is a common dilemma. This cognitive dissonance is the difference between our confessional faith and our functional faith.
What does it look like to be a Child of God with an Orphan Mentality? Consider the distinctions from the two lists below:
- Confidence in Self, People, and/or Circumstances
- Confidence constantly shaken by disappointments with circumstances, people, or self.
- Fears increase through life; fears fluctuate depending upon circumstances.
- Confused handling of criticism from others – moving back and forth between denial/self justification and self flagellation/discouragement/depression.
- Gossip and lack of tongue control reveals defensiveness and judgmental attitudes.
- Lifestyle characterized by insecurities, jealousies, and concealed grudges.
- Ignorance of the potency of prayer in securing the Spirit’s presence and power.
- Purpose of life is living for our significance (sometimes even erroneously basing our identity & reputation on Christian endeavors & successes rather than in our Union with Christ…) and/or our own comfort.
- Confidence in Christ ALONE.
- Confidence in Christ increases even as self, people, and/or circumstances disappoint.
- Fears are increasingly overcome by faith and love.
- Sifting through criticisms, and discerning in light of the gospel, rejecting false and misplaced allegations, while accepting valid criticisms, finding even the kernels of truth in them, and repenting of sin while believing the gospel anew.
- Speak the language of Praise to the Father, affirmation of others and, when wronged, forgiveness & reconciliation (directly to the persons involved whenever appropriate).
- Gospel is made the center of motivations and the basis for behavior.
- Lifestyle characterized by forgiveness, blessing, and prayer for our enemies and those who have wronged us.
- Understanding the potency of prayer in securing the Spirit’s presence and power.
- Purpose in life is to discover true happiness, and understands that true happiness is found in laying down life for Christ and for others.
As we think through these two lists we will likely notice, if we are honest with ourselves, that even on our better days we have characteristics of both, or that we fluctuate between them. This is not cause to despair, but rather opportunity to believe anew what Jesus has done for us. Don’t make the mistake of unreflectively assuming and assigning to self only the better qualities. The psalmists provide us with a model worth emulating of raw honesty – both confessing and believing. Honest reflection is the essence of spiritual authenticity and genuine vitality.
2 thoughts on “Children of God With Orphan Mentalities”
You are living united with God and Jesus when all of your circumstances are understanding God’s communication to your existence area as one. God’s communication is caused by the placement of pure light. Pure light is providing continuously an orientation that cause united circumstances to understand God as God is always that same. In order to participate in understanding pure light to you, what you understand to be able to do, go around with and say must be united with what God causes to continuable interests within the area of God’s continuable Kingdom where full knowing is placed. When that is not the case, areas of your physical existence and areas of your out of unity environment, human and non human are caused to be understanding with separated circumstances and this life receives nervous system communication. Nervous system communication is the light of helium mixed with degrees of dark or what is salt and hydrogen. Pure light which is what God is always providing is pure liquid hydrogen when liquid hydrogen is whole or never in chaotic pieces called negative energy. Obviously, it can not then be called hydrogen and it is then called Hallelujah Substance. Hallelujah Substance is the environment that God moves your sight and experiencing into when God is causing Himself to be seen and to say something that everyone at unity understanding God continuously as always is participating in.
To understand your circumstances correctly you can imagine that you are able to be seen on the BIG SCREEN moment to moment and any area of you and your immediate environment that is not continuable is understanding with separated circumstances instead of united circumstances. These areas will be understanding to be saying something understanding what they are saying from the area of nervous system communication that they can not continue to say, do not know about completely, can not be used by you within what you can continue to do and is never caused by God to be set to an experience with peace or love. If there is nothing else God is causing you to do to move away or toward something in your current existence, then you will not be caused to receive separated circumstance to the area of your brain experienced as aware internal communication and you can understand that God is doing everything to cause your eternal circumstances to understand as one. Your eternal circumstance is your forever existence and all life moves into knowing about this existence completely aware in what ever place(s) and personhood(s) it is able to be done until nothing else is necessary for God to do to cause something else to happen and your entire existence as an area of God’s knowing circumstances and continuous activity circumstances is doing what it can always do.
What God is always providing is cause for celebration.