There are the five parts of the Bible:
- The God of the Old Testament is a missionary God, calling one family in order to bless all the families of the earth.
- The Christ of the Gospels is a missionary Christ; he sent the church out to witness.
- The Spirit of the Acts is a missionary Spirit; he drove the church out from Jerusalem to Rome.
- The Church of the epistles is a missionary Church, a worldwide community with a worldwide vocation.
- The end of the Revelation is a missionary End, a countless throng from every nation.
So I think we have to say the religion of the Bible is a missionary religion. The evidence is overwhelming and irrefutable.
Mission cannot be regarded as a regrettable lapse from tolerance or decency. Mission cannot be regarded as the hobby of a few fanatical eccentrics in the church. Mission lies at the heart of God and therefore at the very heart of the church. A church without mission is no longer a church. It is contradicting an essential part of its identity. The church is mission.
One thought on “Mission @ the Heart of God”
Sounds right to me….